So the blue smoke has cleared. The Doctor Who Universe has a new Doctor in Peter Capaldi. Looking at him he fits the mold in many aspects he’s an older male, he is an experienced actor but not so well known that his name carries more weight as an actor than his acting does.
What makes him an interesting pick for many is that he has not only been in Doctor Who before (see the fires of Pompeii) but also played a significant role in Torchwood. It’s not the first time they have picked a Doctor who has held a previous roll within the series. Collin Baker, the 6th Doctor did have a speaking part in the Caves of Androzi. Likewise, a number of previous actors who have played main characters have played minor roles in the show. Many know that it’s a way to get your foot in the door.
As for me, I’m warming up to him being the next Doctor. He’s still not ginger, but I think he will bring a fresh perspective after the 8 years of David and Matt. He almost has a John Pertwee feel to him. Of course not all the whovians are going to be happy, like any fan base we can’t all agree. But after the 8 years of having a young handsome British leading man in the roll of Doctor where ever single companion wanted to get some action with the Doctor, it will be refreshing to have a silver fox (as my best friend referred to him)as a distinguished Doctor. And might I add, he would make a great couple with River Song…I’m just saying.
After watching the special on the BBC, I can say it warms my heart that he is a fan. The fact that he has been a lifelong fan of the show gives me a good feeling that his portrayal of the Doctor will be in good hands. Likewise, he said “Doctor Who is for everyone.” To me that speaks volumes.
A few interesting facts that you will need to know before going in to the first episode:
– He is the third Scotsman to play the Doctor
– He was in a punk rock band, called the Dreamboys
– Fellow Whovian Craig Ferguson was the drummer for the Dreamboys
– He was in the fires of Pompeii and Children of the Earth in Torchwood.
– Besides being a very talented actor he is an Oscar winning Director
– Want a preview of what you will get starting on Christmas day? You can find him in Neverwhere (based on the Neil Gaiman novel), World War Z(he was a W.H.O. Doctor) and in the upcoming Malificent movie.
Overall I am pretty excited for this new Doctor and what he has to bring to the show. So tell me what are your thoughts on our new Doctor?