Whenever the subject of classic Doctor Who comes up with someone who joined the fandom during the new series I am told “I don’t know where to begin, it’s so overwhelming.” It’s understandable, the Doctor Who Universe is very expansive.
So with that in mind, I have compiled a list of classic Doctor Who episodes to help get ready for the 50th Anniversary.
- An Unearthly Child: Start at the beginning….and when you get to the end stop. This is the very first ever Doctor Who episode. It’s where all of the magic begins. The first Tardis, the first companions that fell down the rabbit hole. See where the show started 50 years ago.
- Genesis of the Daleks: In this episode the 4th Doctor is left with the ultimate choice of a time traveler: by stopping the a great evil before it begins will history be changed for the better or worse. The Doctor can kill the Daleks once and for all keeping millions of planets from dying but yet also stopping all the good that will happen.
- The Five Doctors: Specials where past and present Doctors share episodes is nothing really new. For the 25th anniversary the Five Doctors were taken out of time and placed in the dead zone of Gallifrey where they team up to protect the most ancient and powerful secrets of the Time Lords
- Remembrance of the Daleks: If for no other reason than Ace taking a baseball bat to a Dalek, this is great episode. In this episode our 7th Doctor gets caught in the middle of two warring factions of Daleks seeking the “Hand of Omega” which was hid on earth by the 1st Doctor in an unearthly child.
- Doctor Who the Movie: Prerequisite watch at least 2 to 3 other Classic Doctor Who episodes before watching this move because it gets everything wrong (for more details click here). It does sadden me, that Paul Mcgann didn’t get more time as the Doctor. As you can see from the prequel he would have been goofy and charming Doctor. After seeing the movie and watching the prequel I can totally buy it that he spent his time just going around helping people and not taking a side. Also, he is the last regeneration before the “War Doctor.”
So what are you waiting for? Go Watch some Doctor Who!