One of the things that I love about the science fiction genre is that it has some of the best leading female characters on the screen and literature. So primarily focusing on television and movies (there would be too many if I included books) these are the women that can carry their own against any guy. So without further wait here are my favorite Bad Ass Heroines.
- Bo (Anna Silk) from Lost Girl. I absolutely love her. She is conflicted, beautiful, loyal and can kick some serious fae butt.
- Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen) from Agents of Shield. I have been a fan of Ming-Na Wen’s since Stargate Universe, tough as nails she made even the toughest heroes quake in the shoes. As Melinda May, she is even better. She is hard as steel and the toughest member of that team.
- Sarah Walker (Yvonne Strahovski) from Chuck. She looked great while kicking super spy butt and it was totally believable. And for the record, I am still jealous of her wardrobe.
- Mary Margaret/Snow (Ginnifer Goodwin) from Once Upon a Time. When I was a little girl I had to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways and I only had one princess with brown hair like me. At the time I didn’t particularly care for her, it wasn’t until Belle came along that I had a Disney princess that I could really be a fangirl for, but then Snow from Once came along and she was a trouble making courageous princess that stood up for what she believed.
- Zoe Washburne (Gina Torres) When I think of Zoe the phrase “tough as nails” comes to mind. An Amazonian Goddess to Wash, best friend and wise first mate to Malcom. She is the tough gun slinger that Dime Novels were made from.
- Laura Croft, Whether it is Angelina Jolie or the video game I absolutely love love love this character. She is a fighter in every sense of the word.
- River Song (Alex Kingston) from Doctor Who. Well besides the fact that I have to have at least one Doctor Who Character on the list River Song is one of the few characters that can stand up to the Doctor on a truly intellectual level. Simultaneously throwing him off his game.
- Carol (Melissa Mcbride) from Walking Dead. Her character has grown so much since the first season in the show. She has become the ultimate bad ass doing the things that even Rick doesn’t have the guts to do.
- Maggie (Lauren Cohen) another Walking Dead pick. Along with being courageous, strong, brave and an incredible Zombie killer she has got a lot of heart.
- Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) from Game of Thrones. I liked her character when I read the first book in the series but fell in awe of her in the television series. Such a strong and ever growing character makes her someone to love in and of itself but add in scenes where she frees a whole city full of slaves with her dragon. How can you not love her? Oh yeah and she is the mother of freaking dragons!
- Sarah Manning (Tatiana Maslany) Talk about a tough street smart woman! She can handle some serious trouble, deal with some seriously head spinning drama and kick some serious butt. On top of it, all of the clones are played by her. The actress is phenomenal.
There are many out there that claim that women can’t lead the way in action and adventure movies or TV shows but I certainly believe these characters are paving the way for more great women to come along. Also, if you aren’t watching any of these shows go ahead and close down your computer now and catch up on these shows on Netflix so you can see what I am talking about!
Who are your favorite Badass Heroines?