Several years ago I adopted the challenge of reading all of the books on the Pulitzer Prize Fiction Winners. The ever growing list of books contains a number of literary gems that are must reads. Here are my Top Ten Favorite Pulitzer Prize Winning Books.
1. Interpreter of Maladies. I love short stories, this book is a collection of short stories. This was my pulitzer prize gateway book. I’ve read it about 3 times so far and it truly gets better each time I read it.
2. To Kill a Mockingbird. Truly a classic that everyone needs to read regardless of it being on the pulitzer prize winning list.
3. Middlesex. This was truly a lovely novel. Middlesex is about a family’s secrets, tradition and finding your place in the world. Such a beautiful coming of age story.
4. A Visit from the Good Squad. This book is a tapestry of stories all interwoven together. Every detail in this story is important.
5. Empire Falls. This is not a very eventful book but it’s a meaningful book that is well written and in a sense, a late in life coming of age story.
6. The Grapes of Wrath. One of my favorite books by far. It’s gritty and raw and captures the human spirit so well.
7. The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love. This is just a lovely story of two generations of a Cuban American family it’s nostalgic and romantic.
8. The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao. A modern tragedy that is well written from start to finish.
9. A Confederacy of Dunces. I resent the fact that I have to put this book on my list. I have never in all my life wanted to reach into a book so badly and smack the ever loving daylights out of a character so badly as I wanted to with this book. Because this book made me feel so strongly it deserves to be here. It really is a well written book to make me loathe the character so much. (I liked all the other characters by the way.)
10. The Shipping News. I am reading this book now. It’s a quirky dark comedy. I am enjoying reading this one.