When I was a kid I used to watch classic movies with my grandmother. We’d watch the movies and she would tell me stories from her childhood. Turner Classic Movies and the weather channel were the two most viewed channels on her television. It instilled my love of movies and ofcourse, the classics.
These are my quintessential classic movies that everyone should watch.
- Casablanca. “Play it again Sam” a wonderfully doomed romance, exotic location and just classic golden Hollywood.
- The little Princess. This movie is every little girl’s dream. This was one of mine and my grandmother’s favorite movies to watch. It is also, by far, the best Shirley Temple movie. If you are to only watch one of her movies, that’s the one to watch.
- White Christmas. This movie is as much a Christmas tradition as “A Christmas Story” or the “Grinch.” Bring a whole Broadway show up to a sleepy ski resort in Vermont? Sure! Especially if you are Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye…
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Really any Audrey Hepburn movie but this is one of her best. The book by the way is fantastic. It still resonates to today.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Just an all around, warm fuzzies in the belly feel good movie.
- Any Charlie Chaplin Movie.
- Meet Me In St. Louis. Following the saga of a family that finds out they have to move over the course of the year is full of drama and laughs and Judy Garland singing….Speaking of Judy…
- The Wizard of OZ a timeless classic.
- Funny Face. Ok so as I mentioned above any Audrey Hepburn movie would be good to watch but this one is another one that deserves special mention. An impromptu photo shoot leads an average girl into the world of high end modeling….in Paris…with Fred Astair…
- Singing In the Rain because random singing and dance scenes are awesome.